Thursday, June 20, 2013

REPOST: It's just not worth it (Nov. 4, 2010)

I wrote this a couple years back on another blog, and I thought I'd repost it. It's a good read.


We all have those moments when we overreact, when we allow our emotions to blind our rationality. There are times when we think our lives are over because of what is going on. But when we look back on it, it never seems to be that big of a deal. It may even be silly. When I was seven years old, my parents got divorced. I didn't go over the stereotypical stages of anger, depression or rebellion. I just accepted it. But deep down, I know it hurt me. I've always been mature for my age, I've always been able to cope with the most unfavourable events. I don't think I really started to realize how my parents' divorce got to me until I grew older. I love both of my parents, and I just knew that getting separated was the best thing for them. And it has been. During this time, my world was being torn apart, my life was being reassembled. And what was happening somewhere else, in the same city, during this time? Someone was killed by a car. A kid.

I just learned that when my friend was seven, he saw his best friend dying in front of him. A seven year old. People die everyday, but the life of a child? The last breathe of a little boy expiring being witnessed by his friend? This was the point my friend was forced to grow up, the point he realized that life is so fragile. All the arguments that seven year olds have, all the joy, everything; it was taken from him that day. All the while I thought my life was falling apart, someone else's was, literally. At the same time my family separated and my life was torn in two, someone else was being permanently separated from his family and his life was over.


It just amazes me how selfish humans are. It's so cliche to say that we take things for granted, that we rarely appreciate all the people in front of us, but it's the truth. Does that fight really matter? Is money really an issue? Are you really willing to let things that are so insignificant compared to the sacredness of life slip by because you're too stubborn to see what is right in front of you? Sometimes, whatever it is that's going on, whatever problems are happening, whoever is being stupid, it's just not worth it. 

C

No comments:

Post a Comment