Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Exercising through/with menstrual cramps

exercising with menstrual cramps

Question for the ladies out there, who here has suffered from serious cases of menstrual cramps while exercising? Be it running, using the elliptical, or whatever other cardio workout. I find that I experience these cramps about a week or a week and a half prior to my time of the month, which is really frustrating because it's really painful! I usually get them about 10-15 minutes into my workout, and most of the times, I push through. It gets tough sometimes because it hurts a lot, and the pain stays longer then it would if I just stopped and walked it off for a few minutes. The pain is right where my ovaries are, and it feels like normal period cramps. Sometimes there's this urge to use the bathroom, and that is troubling when you're on a long run and there are really no bathrooms to use.

I guess the "silver lining" with all this is that once the pain goes away, it doesn't come back for the rest of the workout. I've tried to do some research on it by reading numerous articles online, but there doesn't seem to be much on it. I have found that there are many other women out there who experience this, and it's all pretty much the same. It happens at a particular point in their cycle, and the pain starts about 10-15 minutes into the workout, and persists for however long. Also, with most of these cases, the pain doesn't return once the pain subsides.

I'm looking for solutions, and I want to put these cramps to rest. It's hard to do a high intensity workout when for a week or a week and a half, you know that about 10 minutes in you're going to be experience some terrible stomach pains. So, I'm writing this post to see if anyone out there has experienced this, and if they have any tips/advice as to how to treat it. As mentioned, I usually do try to fight through it, but sometimes the pain is too much to take. So if you have any ideas/suggestions/etc please do make a contribution.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment