Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 2: The Unexpected Happens

I planned on going for a very long run today. I started at Cambie and Jacombs, and headed towards No.6 Road. I ran down 6Rd until I hit Blundell, turned right and kept going until I hit No.1 Rd, and turned right. I had planned on heading to River Road and then making my way back home. However, my ankle gave out. It started hurting a lot and I knew that with every step I took that was accompanied by pain, that something was not right. I eventually stopped, and ended up bussing home. The outer part of my right ankle (the one I've previously sprained and rolled several times in the past) is now swollen and bruised. I'm applying RICE and just hoping that it gets better so that I can get back out there and run again. I'm pretty bummed about it because I honestly wasn't to the point where I couldn't go on, my ankle notwithstanding. I wasn't super tired, so I really wanted to keep going. Unfortunately, sometimes these things happen, and you have to know when to stop otherwise it can end up causing permanent damage.

Although I was unable to complete what I set out to do, I still ran a fair bit
Distance: 13.91km (8.64 miles)
Time: 1:28:10
Calories: 831

I know I didn't perform the way I know I can. I probably could have picked up the pace a bit, etc, but I have to remember that my ankle was ailing me before I stopped, so that definitely hindered by performance. Regardless, I'm happy that I was able to still complete such a feat. Now hopefully I'll be back out there with my runners on soon.


"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run" - John Bingham

No comments:

Post a Comment